We came across these helpful naming convention tips from our friend Henrik de Gyor at Another DAM blog. Note: We’ve made a few changes to Henrik’s post - we couldn’t resist adding a little bit of our own MediaValet flavour.
In order to maximize the value of your digital asset management system, it’s important to create and maintain a clear file naming convention. These simple tips will help you get started:
- Create a clear naming convention: When you’re creating the convention, think about your company’s current needs, but also keep in mind how your company will evolve and change. Your convention will need to scale alongside it.
- Distribute your naming convention: Create guidelines and samples for your employees – make sure that there’s only one version of the guidelines and that everyone is informed of changes.
- Train employees: It’s important that your employees understand and appreciate the role that they’ll play in the new naming convention. Training is a great way to answer employees’ questions and to make sure that everyone is clear on how to use the guidelines. Remember – training should be fun as well as educational!
- Evaluate employees: An informal evaluation at the end will help you ensure that your training was effective.
- Follow the convention after you’ve trained and evaluated employees.
- Monitor progress: Monitor employees’ use of the convention. There are bound to be a few mistakes, and when this happens, you can simply follow up with the employee to clarify the importance of the guidelines, and answer any questions they might have.